Happy Vishu everyone... hope everyone is filling there pockets with kaineetams I do miss that part a lot.Have a lot of good memories about vishu.My sister and myself used to go to all the relatives places to wish vishu specially.For some people who forget about the kaineetam part we would specially tell Happy Vishu..so they dont forget anything "important"...We used gather all our kaineetams to spent it to the rest of the summer vacation.
This week I have made unniyappam my ammummas(grandma) special,she is a pro in making them..I think my little one is missing a lot of pampering from her.He just love these unniyappam that i got the pan when I visited India this time. My little run with both the hands full uniyappamss. For making nice and fluffy unniyappam you need to use "palayanthodan"variety of banana.Since I dont get then hear i make with the yellow common bananas available here.They taste good the day it is made and becomes slightly next day. So if you can can get hold of nicely ripe palayanthodan banana make Unniyappams.. you will love it.
(yeild - 50 nos)
Raw rice - 3 cups (if u have rice flour you can use that too)
Jaggery - 1 ball about 1 1/2 cups
Banana(palayanthodan pazham)- 3-4 nos
Ghee - 2 Tbsp
Coconut slices cut into small peices) - 2 tbsp
Powdered Cardamon - 1tbsp
Coconut Oil for frying
To buy unniyappa kara click this link)
- Dilute Jaggery by adding 2 cups of water on to it ,cook until jaggery is completely melted and slightly reduced then strain it.
- Grind the rice using very little water as possible. Grind until fine.
- Heat 1 Tbsp ghee and fry coconut slices.
- To the rice batter add the melted jaggery and mix, check for the sweet adjust as required.
- Mash up the bananas well and mix to the batter.
- Add the remaining ghee,roasted coconut pieces,cardamom powder.
- Keep the batter aside for an hour.
- Make it a smooth batter,consistency of coating the back of the spoon. (If the batter is too thick add little water)
- Pour oil into appa kara until molds are completely filled and heat it.
- Pour batter in each mold. (3/4 portion of the each hole)
- Deep fry in medium heat.
- When one side is cooked, turn and cook the other side till it turns brown colour.
- Remove from oil, drain it and serve.