April 26, 2012

Spicy Prawn Pickle - Kerala style

Hmmm.. writing is becoming a herculean task for me as my toddler son keep me busy and occupied.Actually it is fun to see him growing up in front of my eyes.It is the best part of motherhood.I am loving it :) but sometimes he makes me go crazy too..


              I have made this prawn pickle few days before i almost emptied the jar by now, if I dont write the blog by now I would forget the taste of it.Since by husband is a vegetarian, if I want to eat any thing non vegetarian i have to cook for my son and myself..If their is a jar of pickle like this I can fulfill my cravings in no time.I got the idea of making this pickle when I went to the grocery store and saw tiny prawns.

Recipe

Marination   


1 Prawns - 1/2 kg(smallest size you find)
   Chilli powder - 2 tsp
   salt - 1 tsp
   Vinegar-1 tbsp
   Pepper powder - 1/4tsp

2. Gingelly oil - 2- 3 tsp
   Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
   Fenugreek powder- 1 pinch
  Asafoetida - 1 pinch
  Ginger sliced - A thumb sized piece of ginger sliced
  Garlic- 8-10 cloves
  Curry leaves - 2-3 springs
  Salt- to taste
  Vinegar- 1 tbsp (optional)
  Oil for frying

Methods

  1.  Devein and clean the prawns, if using the raw once.
  2.  Marinate  the prawns with the first set of marination ingredients.ie with chilli powder,turmeric, salt, vinegar and pepper
  3. After 30 minutes, fry the prawns in oil till it is cooked and seared, it takes only 2- 3 minutes.If fried for more time it will become rubbery.
  4. Once the entire set of prawns are fried, drain the oil with a paper towel and set aside.
  5. Now splatter the mustard seeds in gingelly oil, add curry leaves and saute garlic, ginger pieces and slit green chillies.
  6. Make a paste of  Turmeric, chilli powder and salt
  7. Once the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone add the chilli paste.
  8. At this point you can adjust the consistency , by adding water if  more gravy is required.
  9. Add the fried prawns and bring it to a boil.
  10. Reduce flame and check for salt.
  11. Once reaches room temperature add fenugreek powder, asafoetida, vinegar.
  12. Then Store it in glass jar and pour few table spoons of gingelly oil so that the it forms a layer on the top and prevents bacterial action.
  13. I have seen my grand mother adding a small piece of oil soaked cloth on the top as well.
  14. Refrigerate  after 2 days.


No comments: