A tin of mango pulp which I purchased from Indian grocery store has been staying in my pantry for some time.Since it was winter I didn't make mango lassi as i used to do.Then I got to make a pudding or mousse.After much research I settled upon on one recipe.My plan is to make a jaconde sponge as base,mango mousse as filling and with a mango clear glaze as topping.
Jaconde sponge cake: (source sprinkle bake :)
Confectioners sugar for sprinkling - 1/4 cup
Almond flour-1 cup
Confectioners sugar - 3/4 cup
All purpose flour -1/3 cup
Eggs - 3 nos
Egg yolk -1nos
Egg white -3nos
Granulated sugar -1/4 cup
Melted Butter - 2 Tbsp
Gel food colour - 9 drops
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a parchment paper with 1/4 cup confectioners sugar. Grease jelly roll pan, line with parchment and grease paper.
- In a bowl , beat the almond flour, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, flour and eggs until combined, stopping in between to scrape down the sides of the bowl .
- Add the 1 egg yolk and food coloring, then mix again to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until white forms are formed. Gradually add in the granulated sugar until a white, thick meringue forms.
- Gently fold in the meringue into the almond flour mixture.
- Carefully fold in the melted butter without deflating it.
- Pour mixture into jelly roll pan and bake for 5-8 minutes.
- Be very careful about the timing since this cake gets cooked very fast.
- Remove cake from oven in to the parchment paper dusted with confectioners sugar.
- Using your pan as a guide, cut a circle of cake from the jaconde and press it into the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Trim edges and cut one long piece of jaconde big enough to fit around the inside of the 7" spring form pan.press down the edges into base so that both pieces will sit combined.
Filling -Mango Mousse (my own recipe)
Sweetened Mango pulp - 4 cup
Pureed pulp of 1 pound Mangoes
Heavy whipping cream - 1 1/2 cup
Unflavored gelatin - 3 1/2 tsp
Ripe mango - 1 nos
- Pour about a cup of the purée into a small saucepan, warm it gently, then add the gelatin, stirring it until it dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the rest of the purée.
- Allow it to cool, stirring it occasionally. When the purée reaches the room temperature, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Immerse the bowl of purée in an ice bath.Mix in till the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove the bowl from the bath and whip the cream the rest of the way to stiff peaks
- Fold in the whipped cream into the mango puree mixture.
Mango puree - 1 cup
water - 2 tbsp
sugar - 2 tbsp
Unflavored gelatin - 2 1/2 tsp
Lime juice - 1 tbsp
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Now reduce flame and cook for 3- 4 minutes and remove from fire and bring it to room temperature.
Assembly of Cake
- Pour half of the mousse into the sponge lines cake tin.
- Arrange mango cubes (cut into small bite size pieces) into a layer, I added this layer just to add an extra kick, I love would to get a piece of mango while having a piece of cake.
- Now add the remaining mousse mixture and give a tab the cake tin.
- Atlast pour in the mango glaze and freeze in atleast for 6-8 hours before serving.