" Varuthuaracha meen curry " is one recipe which I learned from my mother and my she in turn from he mother in law (my grandma :)). My grand mother prepares the best fish curry I have ever had. This is a good recipe, every one who reads this and is interested, should give it a try...and enjoy. I would recommend to make this recipe using sardines (mathi), which goes very well with Tapioca or yuca (kappa puzhikku)
Fish - 1lb
Shredded coconut - 1 cup
Coccum(kodam puli) - 2 -3 pieces
Green chilly - 2- 3 nos
Ginger - a very small
Shallots - 2 nos
Red chilly powder - 3 tsp
Fenugreek powder - 1 pinch
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Water - 2-3 cups
Salt - to taste
- Soak cocum in water
- Dry roast the shredded coconut in a deep dish pan. If u can use a wok shaped pan that would ideal.
- Dry roast until the coconut turns uniformly golden in colour, now add shallots. Fry until the coconut turns brown in colour. Then add red chilly powder, mix well and remove from the heat. Make sure you don't burn the red chilly powder.
- Once the roasted coconut has cooled down, dry grind the mixture.
- In a hard bottom pan add the dry ground coconut mixture, fish pieces, ginger, curry leaves, slit green chilly, salt and mix water. Place it on medium heat.
- Add Cocum and bring it to a boil. Once boiled, reduce heat .
- Reduce the gravy as you prefer, otherwise remove from heat, taste and serve
- Never stir the fish while cooking, just rotate the pan.
- Use chilly powder to your preference to control the spiciness.
- Sourness depend upon the quality of cocum used, if the quality is good the 2 pieces will be enough.