Yet another snack from south India Uzhunnu vada / medhu vada.In Kerala it is more or less considered as a snack " നാലു മണി പലഹാരം ". But in other states this is a breakfast item.
Urud dal(uzhunnu) - 1 cup
onion - 1/2 nos
green chillies - 1-2 nos
carrot(optional) - 1/4 cup of grated
cabbage(optional) - 1/4 cup of finely chopped
curry leaves - a handful
salt - to taste
oil - for frying
- Soak the urad dal for atleast 2-3 hours.
- Once soaked grind the urad dal finely without adding water. The consistency of the batter should be such that when you drop a little of the batter on water it should float.
- After grinding the batter add finely chopped onion, green chillies, cabbage, carrot and chopped curry leaves. Mix well.
- Keep the oil for frying in a wok shaped pan or "cheena chatti". Once oil hot not smoking!!
- Take a spoon full of batter on a wet palm and fatten it with the other palm.Then make a hole in the center and drop in to the oil carefully.
- Cook in medium flame until golden brown ,remove and serve hot with chutney.
Flaws that can happen
1. Not able to shape the batter with palms- the batter would be runny,can be adjusted with a few spoons of rice powder or urad flour