Falafel... I have been hearing about it since I got married.My husband loves the falafel wrap like mumbaikars love vada pav. He grew up in Libya, the land of Gadaffi. Even I got fond of the taste of falafel after having them.When we were living in India, my in laws used to bring them from Kuwait.After coming to US, we have tried falafel from different restaurants but none of them were as good as we had from Kuwait.We tried the falafel mixes brought from stores they were also no good.So finally decided to make them from scratch.
Falafel- adopted from Dedemed.com
Dried Chickpeas or garbanzo beans - 2 cups
Dried Fava beans - 11/2 cups
Coriander leaves or cilantro - 1 bunch
Italian parsley - 1/2 bunch
Onion - 1 nos
Garlic - 8-10 cloves
Salt - to taste
Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Bread crumbs - 4 tbsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Baking powder (optional) -1/2 tsp
Baking soda (optional) - 1 tsp
Method of making Falafel
- Soak the fava beans and chickpeas over night. Fava beans has a thick cover which comes after soaking.Take that out if using brown fava beans.
- Grind Chick peas and fava beans separately without adding water,till the texture becomes like bread crumbs.
- After that grind together onion, parsley,coriander leaves, garlic until it becomes a fine paste.
- Mix together the leaf mixture, grinded chickpeas and fava beans very well.
- Add Chilly powder,pepper powder,coriander powder,pepper powder,cumin powder,bread crumbs and mix well.
- Recipe calls for adding baking powder and baking soda,but i made them without adding and came out very well.
- Heat vegetable oil about one inch in a frying pan and reduce heat to medium setting.
- Make small ball out of the bean mixture and drop into the oil.
- Once the falafel becomes evenly brown.Remove from oil and drain.
- Serve as Appetizer or serve wrapping in pita bread as sandwich.
All purpose flour - 3 cups
All purpose flour - 2cups
Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
yeast - 7 gms
salt - 1/4 tsp
sugar - 1tbsp
warm water - 1 1/2 cup
olive oil - 2 tbsp
all purpose flour - 1/2 dusting
- Mix sugar and yeast into 1/2 cup of warm water and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix salt to flour and make a well in the middle.Slowly add the yeast mix and1 cup of water into flour and mix well.The result will be sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a bigger vessel coated with olive oil. Make sure sides of the dough too is coated with olive oil.Cover the dough with a damp cloth.
- Keep the dough for proving for about 3-4 hr.
- After 3 hours the dough would rise twice the size.Now knead the dough for 10 minutes.Use the dusting as needed.
- Divide dough into equal sized ball and let it sit for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Roll out the balls to 1/8 inch thick and place in the oven tray and bake each side for 4 minutes.
- The breads will puff up and becomes slightly brown.
- Once cooked remove and serve.You can see the pocket formation when cut into halves.
Assembling of Falafel sandwich or wraps
Mayonnaise - 1tbsp
Hot sauce/Tahini Sauce - 1 tbsp (we used the Sriracha chilli sauce)
Sliced cucumber,lettuce/tomato -2-3 slices each
Fried Potatoes or Eggplant - 3 slices
Falafel - 3 nos
Pita bread - 1 no
- Place a pita bread on to the aluminum foil
- Spread the sauces evenly.
- Place the vegetables and fries
- Place the falafel and crush it by pressing it down
- Wrap tightly into a wrap and secure by the foil
- And Enjoy :).